Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Million Dollar Homepage DoS Attack

It turns out that the reason the Million Dollar Homepage has been down for the past week is that it has been hit by a massive DoS attack. The BBC has details.

This is my original post on the subject:


The Million Dollar Homepage
has been much covered in the media recently. Founded by skint British student
Alex Tew as a way to fund his university education, it sold pixel space on the
site for the rate of $1/pixel with a minimum purchase of 100 pixels. It worked,
and Tew made his million dollars, selling pixels to companies such as The Times
and Orange.However, I have noticed that the Million Dollar Homepage has not been
online of late. This could make some advertisers very angry, considering they
have paid for their adverts to be on the site for at least three years. This
could be just a temporary outage (although it was down yesterday as well) or it
could be that Tew has made his quick buck and has now gone to do something
else.I admire him for the idea, but there could be an awful lot of trouble if he
doesn't manage to get the site back up and running.



I hope for his sake he can sort it out.

1 comment:

Peter said...

This is a bit OT and not related to this post, but can I just say this blog is actually quite good and it seems to come up with the tech stories I am interested in to the point that I actually click this link from my Personalised Google homepage over the official BBC one! Keep up the good work.